This guide will walk you through introducing your General Contractor to Extracker for a new project, and how it will be beneficial to them.
Extracker saves time and speeds up the out of contract work process for both Sub Contractors and General Contractors. However, not all GCs will automatically understand the benefit when seeing Extracker for the first time. To help, we've put together some guidance to make sure you can easily get them on board and make everyone's job easier.
What you should know about GCs & Extracker
- Your General Contractor does not need to create an Extracker account in order for you to submit Tags, CORs, and share your COR Log. Since everything can be sent as a PDF, at it's simplest, Extracker is similar to the normal process for submitting out of contract work
- An Extracker account is NOT needed to review and sign Tags and CORs
- If a GC does want to sign up for an Extracker account to take advantage of additional features, they can use a free account
We suggest following the advice of "Ask for forgiveness instead of permission". Instead of asking permission to use Extracker, we suggest letting them know you'll be submitting Tags and CORs digitally to make sure everything is formatted and submitted in real time. For them, it might sound like a lot of work to try a new software, but remember, they don't need to use Extracker for you to submit Tags and CORs.
We find it better to introduce Extracker closer to when you are actually submitting Tags and CORs. You can even show them in person when you submit your first Tag so they can see how easy it is.
Here is an easy way to explain what Extracker is: "Extracker is digital T&M & COR submission and tracking. It reduces the time to submit, ensures nothing gets lost, and takes away all the time spent digging through inboxes to find Tags and CORs"
Benefits to General Contractors
It's important for the GC to understand that Extracker doesn't only benefit Sub Contractors. Here are some of the great benefits they will also enjoy:
- Formatted, easy to read tags
- Attached images
- Can sign and review remotely or in person
- No more meetings having to try and remember what tags were related to what work
For Project Managers:
- Faster insight into costs
- No need to hunt through your inbox to find CORs
- Formatted COR log that is updated automatically
Sometimes GCs are skeptical or think that something "new" will be too much of a hassle. Here are some common pushback we hear and how to respond:
- I don't want to try some new software - You don't need to, everything that is submitted is through email and PDF, just how we'd do it normally
- I need to be able to rubberstamp - You can manually add comments to Tags, and if you use a free account, you can duplicate your rubber stamp language with pre-populated comments
Example Email Template to your GC
You can use this email template when you are introducing Extracker (just make sure to replace the "XXX"!):
Email Subject: (Insert Projects Name) Change Order Tracking
We have recently implemented Extracker to more effectively manage our change order and T&M work and collaboratively share with our General Contractors in real time.
Our change order log for XXX project will always be available and shared at link XXX.
There will be a link to the web based change order log in each change order email which will appear as below. This hopefully minimizes the email traffic back and forth requesting the most current CO log.
You do not need to sign up for anything to access the link above. Extracker is free for General Contractors so if you want to learn more check it out at https://extracker.com/for-general-contractors/.
Snapshot from Email
You have the option of creating a free account and you can comment on our change orders directly in Extracker or view the change orders in Extracker rather than relying on the e-mail links.
If any time and material work is required for this project we will submit via Extracker’s mobile app to eliminate having to fill out paper T&M tags, transport to office, scan and avoid any sloppy handwriting etc . You will been able to see our live T&M log at link xx and will be receive an email as below with each T&M tag this is signed. You will be able to sign digitally on our mobile device or tablet and if a representative is not available on-site for signature we will request a signature via email to which you can sign remotely.
Please identify email addresses of all project personnel whom you wish to be notified of each change order and/or T&M tag.