In this guide, we will give you the tools to help get your Tier II Extracker project set up with your Subcontractors.
Table of contents
- Tier II Project Requirements
- Instructions to Bidders & Subcontract verbiage
- Email Introduction to Subs Template
1. Tier II Project Requirements
A Tier II Extracker project has the following requirements for Subcontractors:
- Require all Subcontractors to upload a PDF copy of each of the Change Order Requests to Extracker's shared COR log.
- Require all Subcontractors to use Extracker web and mobile app to create any project Time and Material Tags.
By doing this, you as the GC will have access to a complete up-to-date COR log from each Subcontractor and never have to deal with the headaches from paper Time and Material Tags. Simply log in and you will see a complete COR log and a complete T&M Log with every potential cost exposure. You can add review comments, have Subcontractors revise and resubmit things, and keep track of approvals.
2. Include Extracker in your Instructions to Bidders and Subcontracts
Extracker benefits subcontractors as well. Thus, once they learn about Extracker they are typically happy to use it. However, it’s important to include contractual language in your sub-contracts so you can ensure Subcontractor adoption.
We recommend putting the ‘Example language’ in two locations:
*Please note this is not legal advice and you should consult your team before using.
- Instructions to Bidders: Before the job is bid you can insert this language giving the Subcontractors a heads up that Extracker will be required.
- Subcontracts: Once a contract is awarded, carry this same language into the executed contract.
Example ITB & Subcontract Example Language:
"This project is a Tier II Extracker project which requires the following:
1) For a project Change Order Request (COR) to be valid. a PDF copy must be uploaded to the [insert project name] project on Extracker.
2) No paper Time and Material Tags will be signed or acknowledged. For a Time & Material Tag to be valid, you must download the Extracker mobile app or use the web application to create a digital Time and Material Tag.
Extracker.com is a change order communication platform designed to help Subcontractors, General Contractors and Owners create, track, and share Change Order Requests and Time and Material Tags. You will receive an invite for [Insert Project Name] from [Company Name] via Extracker. Do not create your own separate project in Extracker. Further instruction will follow once the project is kicked off."
3. Email introduction to Subcontractors
We highly recommend sending an email introduction to your Subcontractors, prior to sending invites through the system. An introductory email will help explain what Extracker is and most importantly why you are using it. Once Subcontractors understand the value to them, it makes subcontractor adoption much easier.
*Important: Make sure you update the sections that are noted with  with your specific project details.
Tier II Email Example:
Email Subject: [Insert Projects Name] Change Order and T&M Tag Submission and Review
In an effort to better track, review, and process your Change Order Requests, we will be requiring a software solution called Extracker. Extracker.com is a Change Order Communication platform that acts as a digital Change Order log shared between our companies. We will be requiring the following two things done in the software:
1) Any COR on this project must be uploaded to the project in Extracker for it to be valid. All you need to do is log in and follow the simple workflow to upload your COR. Change Order Requests sent via email and not in Extracker will not be reviewed.
2) Any Time and Material Tag for this project must be created using Extrackers digital T&M Tags created via their mobile app or the web application. This allows us to instantly track the exposure from T&M work and collect signatures touch-free.
This will help create better transparency between [Our Firm] and each of your companies so we know at all times what CORs and Tags have been approved, rejected, or are still in review.
1. Someone from each of your teams will receive an invite to join [Insert Project Name] and give you instructions on how to quickly sign up. Please do not create the project on your own as the invite to the project will be coming from our team.
2. Uploading a Change Order Request is free and easy. If you have questions, check out this guide here.
3. If you want help setting up your account, check out this guide here. https://knowledge.extracker.com/knowledge/subcontractor-quick-start-guide
If you have questions or want to set up a demo with Extracker please feel free to schedule something with their team here.
To finish the setup, navigate back to the General Contractor Playbook.